Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Massacre Time

This is one of the first films of Lucio Fulci, eventual horror master(?) and director of such films as The Beyond, Zombi 2, and The Gates Of Hell. Well, this doesn't have any scenes involving somebody puking their guts up, getting a giant splinter in the eye, or having their face eaten by spiders, but it's still pretty good I guess. It's a typical spaghetti western, in which some dude must get revenge on some other dude and then does. It's not as beautiful or mysterious as Leone's westerns, and it definitely becomes soap opera-y near the end, but it's got some good moments of bad assery. I just wonder in my head what the Italians and Spanish thought of the western as a genre. American westerns tended to be varied in plot and tone, but every spaghetti western I've ever seen is bleak, violent, and an exercise in the fate of revenge more than anything else. But this one is fine I guess.

RATING: 57%

No comments: