Saturday, June 28, 2008

For A Few Dollars More

This is the second of the so-called "Man With No Name" trilogy, a set of three westerns directed by Sergio Leone and starring Clint Eastwood as ostensibly the same character, who knows. Anyway, this one's plot has Eastwood and Lee Van Cleef play bounty hunters after this really bad guy named Indio, although maybe Van Cleef has more at stake. This one is a lot better than A Fistful Of Dollars, but it still isn't as great as The Good, The Bad, And The Ugly, obviously. And we all consider The Man With No Name to be one of the most memorable characters in cinema, but to be fair he is always the least interesting - here Van Cleef's character has a lot more history, and even the bloodthirsty villain Indio seems wracked with guilt, and smokes drugs after every kill he makes because he feels so bad. It's a great western from the absolute master of spaghetti westerns, so check it out or something.

RATING: 84%

6 comments:

Chris said...

Isn't A Fistful of Dollars the Eastwood movie in Back To The Future II? Man, I wish that were a movie trivia question. Score!

laurie said...

Man maybe I should have been a poet since I'd have all kinds of free time on my hands to draw crazy pictures on my computer and shit.

DCP said...

I know these drawings are incredibly detailed and contoured, but they only take me about five minutes to do.

Anonymous said...

These three films were Leone's training ground for his masterpiece, "Once Upon a Time in the West." Watching Henry Fonda shoot little girls and boys in the face and back was shocking to say the least(however, he refused to shoot cripples in the back), and Claudia Cardinale was insanely hot. Plus, dusters as they were meant to be showcased.

The movie was written around Morricone's masterful score and some famous European author contributed to the story.

John from Daejeon

DCP said...

Once Upon A Time In The West is one of my favorite movies, although I often vacillate between that and The Good, The Bad, And The Ugly for my favorite western. I guess for Once Upon... you can say that there are no characters without some kind of depth, whereas with GBU, as always, The Man With No Name has absolutely no motivation, background, or anything besides a quick shot.

Anonymous said...

I never cared much for Jason Robards until I saw this great movie. Also, seeing Henry Fonda as a total badass was great.

This is one of my all-time greats along with the original "Invasion of the Body Snatchers" and "The Day the Earth Stood Still." Funny how they seem more horror than sci-fi to me.

John from Daejeon