Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Elective Fertility

Tonight I accidentally turned on a show that had teenagers living in a house and wearing fake pregnancy tummies. Turns out this show was called "The Baby Borrowers,"and its tagline is "It's Not TV -- It's Birth Control." About five teen couples who I guess want babies live on a cul-de-sac and take classes, build cribs, and then take care of someone else's infant for three days. All the crying, whining, spitting and drooling was unbearable. The babies were pretty cute, though. It really made me wish that us American human females all had switches installed in us, and we could turn the switch only when we wanted to be fertile, but not before we were at least nineteen, OR had passed some sort of Common Sense and General Maturity test. One girl cried and locked herself in the bathroom and refused to wear her pregnancy tummy because she looked "fat." Homegirl, you gonna be fat for a LONG TIME if you get pregnant. Actually, forget being allowed to have kids -- based on what I witnessed on NBC this evening and on my own life experiences, I'm not even sure that teenagers should be allowed to date.

RATING: 29%

6 comments:

laurie said...

I had a switch installed in me. It's called and IUD and I need to review it because it's possibly the most wonderful thing ever invented.

Anonymous said...

I read the little blurb about this show in the Times. They said only one girl showed any aptitude at all (throughout the series, I think). Pretty amusing. Also, a good reminder that not everyone will make an excellent parent, regardless of age.

DCP said...

I think any trip to your local Wal-Mart is a good reminder that not everyone will make a good parent, regardless of age.

LoCo said...

Man I wrote a whole thing asking about the IUD, citing my baseless fear of the IUD, asking who was responsible, and blaming the Christian Right. And now it gone. Conspiracy!

laurie said...

Seriously, this thing is awesome.

John said...

Teenagers shouldn't be allowed to do anything. And they should probably be beaten with sticks, too.