Friday, June 27, 2008

The Meadowlands by The Wrens

This is the best album I've bought in the last five years. Pitchfork (especially) and a bunch of other music review publications went bananas over it, but try not to hold that against it. I'd call it post-punk, but it's a little grunge or noise-y. The lyrics are appropriately vague and poetic (not quite mid-90's R.E.M., but subtle enough to not be over-sincere), and they match the tone of the music. Check out the songs "Boys, You Won't", "Hopeless", and "This Boy Is Exhausted" for good tracks from the album, and enjoy the sweet, sweet sounds of New Jersey.

RATING: 93%

(image courtesy of an awesome band)

4 comments:

Chris said...

Good choice. This is one of my favorite albums, even if Pitchfork went ape shit over it.

Chris said...

Thought I would share this:

The Wrens - Everyone Choose Sides

LoCo said...

I didn't know Dave Matthews Band was still making music.

Chris said...

Haha. They do bear a slight resemblance.