Sunday, June 1, 2008

Prohibition

I know hindsight is supposedly 50/50, but this was a really stupid idea supported by a lot of religious fundamentalists. Although I bet it was pretty fun learning how to distill your own liquor until someone died. Anyway, there was lot of lawlessness and crap, and I doubt it stopped anyone from drinking. The only upside is that Prohibition gave us Al Capone and Bugs Moran and that was kind of awesome. There were speakeasies and all kinds of underground/black market stuff I could have enjoyed. Luckily people got sick of this idea (because it was stupid) and Roosevelt put an end to it. Then again, if it weren't for Prohibition we would never seen the rise of the American style lager (hey, one day we'll get there but it's a start).

RATING: 19%

3 comments:

DCP said...

According to the St. Arnold's brewery tour prohibition resulted in the large beer companies dominating the American brewing scene, rather than the small, independent, local breweries. I don't remember why, because all I wanted was free beer.

Chris said...

I suspect that to be some sort of micro brewery propaganda. No, actually that does make sense. I don't remember anything from those tours besides a buzz and slight headache at 2 in the afternoon. Those were the days.

Anonymous said...

Though I agree that Prohibition was a failure, it probably did stop many people from drinking as shown by statistics from deaths involved with alcohol and hospitalizations. They went down very rapidly with Prohabition's start and then started gaining back to its pre-Prob levels after Prob ended.