Wednesday, June 25, 2008

5 sentence reviews (in 5 sentences)

The original mission of this blog was to pass judgement on artifacts of the world at large in no more than 5 sentences composing 1 paragraph. This has obviously been compromised by people like me who either can't say what they need to in 5 sentences or simply like the sound of their own voices (I'm guilty on both counts). So what I want to know is this: should we return to the purity and elegance of the 5 sentence, one paragraph form--the golden age and original raison d'etre of Reviews, Reviews, Reviews, so to speak--or should we break the chains of oppression and consider a short review, say, anything that can fit on a normal monitor screen? I'm cool either way. I have another blog, although Glenn doesn't.

RATING: ??

(Image from libizblog.files.wordpress.com)

8 comments:

Jen said...

I'm in favor of the 5-sentence review!

DCP said...

Well, I nixed the five sentence review as a necessity because absolutely nobody was doing it except me, and also when I was doing it I was severely abusing connective punctuation. And whose to say that we aren't in the golden age of R3, as I call it? We have more posts this month than ever before.

Also, this is my only blog.

John said...

I like writing longer reviews, I'm not gonna lie. But I don't like unknowingly offending people, so I figured I'd put this out there.

Bryan said...

Woo! Punctuation!
Voluntary constraints: good.
Longer reviews: bad.

Chris said...

I like the 5 sentence format. I don't know if I've done one in 5 sentences yet, but most are pretty close.

LoCo said...

If anyone here is "offended" by the five-plus format, you need to get off the site right now, and go enroll at Wellesley.

laurie said...

I like your reviews, John. And I don't care if they are over five sentences.

John said...

Thanks for the compliment, Laurie, and thanks for putting your 2 cents in, everybody.

Since consensus still seems to be a long way off, I'm gonna say that I'll write some 5 sentence reviews and some longer reviews. Every post will continue to have a comments section, where people can feel free to tell me I'm a windbag if they want. If anyone is really concerned that R3 has gone to the dogs, I suggest they become a contributor (if they're not already) and write a review. After all, reviews don't lie.