Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Books I Want to Read

Books I want to read are the absolute best! Whether I buy them new or used, they sit there on my bookshelf looking so smart and inviting. Their covers are so bright and pretty, and as I stare at their spines, I can just imagine myself reading each book, totally absorbed and inspired by the stuff written on all those pages. I imagine myself saying to others, "Oh yes, that book. I've read that one. Quite a book," as my imaginary companion nods approvingly. But sometimes when I actually start to read these books, several bad things occur: the book is boring, for one. Or it's trite. Or even though lots of people say good things about the book and it's sold a jillion copies, it's just bad. Dull. I feel tricked and disappointed by the book. But in those weeks (months? okay FINE, years) that I'm just gazing at the book and wishing to read it, man, those are some really great books.

RATING: 92%

2 comments:

DCP said...

There are a lot of poetry books that look really pretty sitting on my shelf that I bet are terrible on the inside. Maybe that's why I never read them?

laurie said...

Yeah I was deeply disappointed by Confederacy of Dunces. It was one of those that tons of ppl told me they loved and it changed their lives and shit, but good god it bored me to tears. Maybe I need to try it again. I dunno. In general tho, books are awesome. Hooray for books and the five Americans still interested in reading them.