Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Damien Hirst

Damien Hirst is a British artist who's famous for installation pieces featuring dead animals floating in formaldehyde that sell for exorbitant amounts of money. He also does "spin paintings," which are created by someone (not Hirst himself, but one of his employees) dripping paint onto a flat, revolving surface. His piece For the Love of God, pictured here, was fashioned from a real human skull to which he affixed 8,601 diamonds. Whenever I think of Damien Hirst, I'm reminded of the painter Rabo Karabekian from Kurt Vonnegut's Breakfast of Champions, who "with his meaningless pictures had entered into a conspiracy with millionaires to make poor people feel stupid" (Vonnegut 214). Hirst doesn't even paint most of his own pictures, and I think the idea of the mastermind conceptual artist taking all the credit for merely signing his name on the work of others, especially as some sort of "ironic" critique of capitalism and mass production, was fraudulent and boring when Andy Warhol did it 40 years ago.

Damien Hirst's work is smug, nihilistic, and morally and aesthetically repulsive. Moreover, I think his exploitation of dead people and animals for his own financial gain is blasphemous on a level that any thinking, feeling creature should be able to understand. He's not an artist, he's an artiste, and celebrity bullshitters like him are one of the main reasons why average folks don't visit art galleries.

RATING: 9%

(Image from myartspace.com.)

6 comments:

Jen said...

That skull is awesome. Just awesome.

Also, what happened to our short, 5-sentence reviews? I hope that's not scrapped, as it was one of my favorite features of this blog!

John said...

Good question, Jen. Let's see what everyone thinks. And the skull is pretty, but not pretty enough to make up for what a douche Damien Hirst is.

DCP said...

Yeah, this guy blows. I wish I could find some way to do this with poetry though. I would sell out for millions of dollars so fast, I swear.

Bryan said...

You can do this with fiction, though. Be prolific, write nonsense.

laurie said...

That skull is damn bullshit, but I love the formaldehyde animals (esp the shark which is now at the Met and I've been meaning to go see). Also, I have to take issue with the knocks on Warhol. Warhol was brilliant, dammit. He's one of my heroes. Seriously.

Anonymous said...

I wonder how he affixed all the diamond and how the diamonds are cut. Modern round brilliants are flat on top and pointy on the bottom, so not good for gluing; whereas the rose cut has a facetted top and a flat bottom, so it is better for gluing. Probably he would get points from me for actually affixing the diamonds, if he did. Probably he didn't physically do it himself.