Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Punch Drunk Love

#65 on Glenn's Top 100 Movie List

I like this movie a lot more than Magnolia. So sue me. Anyway, it proves that the key to getting a great dramatic performance out of a comedic actor is to write some role that exactly mimics all of their faults, but don't put punchlines in. So Adam Sandler, playing the exact same role in this movie as every movie he's ever been in, ends up really being a pathetic presence, in the classic sense. When I saw this in the theater, it was the most people I have ever witnessed walk out in the middle of a movie ever. The sad thing was that I saw it alone, and this cute woman who was also alone sat next to me. So in my head I was like "man, I hope she's liking this movie as much as I am! I'll talk to her about it later and maybe then we can make out or something." But then she got exasperated and left I guess whenever she realized it wasn't The Waterboy Part 2. But who am I kidding? I never would have said anything to her anyway.

RATING: 88%

3 comments:

LoCo said...

What is this movie ABOUT, exactly? An angry guy? Why did people walk out? I'm left wanting to know so much more.

laurie said...

This movie is just about weirdness from what I can remember. But I also remember really thinking it was funny and brilliant in a weird way. I think I need to watch it again.

John said...

Did somebody say The Waterboy Part 2? I was up all last night praying, but it still sounds too good to be true :P

PDL was excellent. It, The Wedding Singer, and Spanglish (to a lesser degree) are Sandler's best. The rest are pieces of shit fit for 11 year old sleepover birthdays supervised by negligent parents.