Thursday, June 19, 2008

Boxing

I like boxing because training for it pays off in tangible, immediate terms: when angry strangers are trying to hit you in the face, you want to get in better shape fast. Also, it's not boring, like plain old running, or gay, like tennis (not that there's anything wrong with that). Boxing is notorious for causing neurological damage--when I'm struck in the cheek, jaw, or forehead, I see silver stars, but when I'm hit on the crown of the head, I see dark spots--so people who actually want to do something productive with their brains should probably try a different sport like water polo or chess. Luckily for me, I only want to be a university professor and maybe write a trendy, opportunistic book someday, so I can get punched in the frontal lobe all night long if I want.

(I'm not trying to sound like a badass: I'm a terrible boxer. I get beat down by kids 10 years younger and 60 lbs lighter than me semi-regularly. Also, I listen to Depeche Mode all the time.)

RATING: 85%

(Image from about.com.)

3 comments:

Chris said...

Boxing is awesome, but I got punched once and I don't think I ever want to do that again. However, maybe the fun part is punching someone else.

John said...

It's definitely more fun to hit someone than to get hit. It isn't fun to literally feel your brain bouncing off the inside of your skull.

laurie said...

Hehe, I used to listen to Depeche Mode all the time when I was a 13 year old girl.