Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Salvia Divinorum

Drugs are bad, m'kay? But salvia is legal, so I hope I'm not besmirching the reputation of this blog too badly by reviewing it here. You can grow salvia in your garden if you want, and it's a hardy plant, but the leaves taste like ass if you smoke them, and they aren't strong enough to have a psychoactive effect. Concentrated salvia extract also tastes like ass, but it gets you higher than a midget handcuffed to a weather balloon.

The buzz is not a fun one. For me, it was characterized by extreme "out of body" disorientation, a loss of motor control, a sense of dismemberment (the top half of me got up and fell off the couch, while my legs remained sitting down), auditory hallucinations (voices said, "Should we take him with us?"), and a strong and pervasive sense of fear and malevolent weirdness. Also, everything kept rolling to the left, and my horizontal and vertical axes were all messed up. When I came down, after a period of approximately 10 minutes, I was disturbed and agitated for another half-hour or so.

I think some psychedelics, if used responsibly in a therapeutic or spiritually-oriented manner, can be quite beneficial to some people. Salvia, on the other hand, is like a Filipino drag queen knife fight in your head. I don't expect to ever try it again.

RATING: 12%

(Image from psychoactiveherbs.com)

4 comments:

laurie said...

I'm pretty sure I would rather be hit by a bus than experience this.

DCP said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
John said...

I don't believe there are any harmless drugs. Every drug has a price, health-wise. Even Tylenol. But people should be able to make those decisions for themselves, with the benefit of education. Putting a bunch of poor (black, hispanic) people in jail for victimless crimes doesn't do anyone any good.

Chris said...

I'm against decriminalization because the government's job isn't to protect us from ourselves. I think I'm going with John on this one. Education.