Monday, June 16, 2008

Elephant

#75 on Glenn's Top 100 Movie List

LAST MINUTE SUBSTITUTION FOR ONE FLEW OVER THE CUCKOO'S NEST - Ok, I know this one will piss off some people, especially Martin if he reads this entry since I remember when we saw it in the theater he thought it was so bad he couldn't stop talking about it for weeks, but I really think that Gus Van Sant created the best movie possible in response to school shootings. It's purposely over the top as it blames the shooting on everything the media blamed it on. They listen to heavy music. They're bullied. They're sexually confused. But it creates such a horrifying tone that I think it deserves to knock this pretty great movie (barely) off my top 100. But I guess I really love the ending of One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest. Nurse Ratched is so cruel that every time I watch the movie I hope it's a different version where Jack Nicholson's character actually does strangle her to death. Of course, whenever I became a middle school teacher and watched this movie I kind of sided with her. But Elephant is a great movie.

RATING: 85%

1 comment:

laurie said...

Elephant is a giant turd. Seriously Glenn, I'm disappointed with you.