Friday, June 20, 2008

Who's "Asia"?

So in honor of Houston Pride this weekend, I am going to continue to obsess over the blind items in Hiding in Hip Hop. In the fine chapter "Keep Moving On," Terrance goes to a club that has a "Ladies' Night," where he sees "Asia":

...a 1990s female R&B singer who had... a number of wildly successful ballads during that time. She started as a background singer, [but soon became] a solo artist. Her short body was topped with her huge, curly hair... her claim to fame was her rendition of a sexy remake of a song originally done by an 80s icon. (122)

...So am I overshooting, or could this be Whitney Houston? Too big? Think smaller? I don't know. What am I missing? Based on the clarity of this blind item:

RATING: 41%

4 comments:

laurie said...

I've emailed an 80s pop music and all things gay expert to help us. Hopefully he'll be able to look at it while at work today. Seriously.

John said...

That's gotta be Whitney. No one would use that many adjectives and adverbs to describe Mary J. Blige. Does it say anything about a coke moustache?

LoCo said...

Thanks Laurie! I guess it might have been to obvious to say "she went on to become one of the biggest female pop vocalists of all time" or something. I'm trying to let the tons of curly hair atop her tiny body be the leading clue...

Anonymous said...

Hello, hello...well, I don't think it's Whitney, because she isn't short, and she came to prominence in the 80's not 90's. At first I was thinking Toni Braxton, but the curly hair throws me off. Janet Jackson had curly hair, and is short, but she herself is an 80's icon so.....that's all I've got for now...dang.