Monday, July 7, 2008

Overuse of Parentheses

I have a tendency to overuse parentheses. I think that this stems from a former tendency to abuse and overuse ellipses. While I agree that this prediliction towards parenthetical punction is, at best, pathetic (also, alliteration!)...it's a lot better than the alternative, and makes me sound less like a sixth-grade wannabe author, and more like a tenth-grade wannabe author. Go me.

Also, this will probably be the primary topic of discussion in "Punctuation: The Movie", which is the long awaited follow-up to my first film, the now-classic "Vocabulary: The Movie".

RATING: 34% (This means that it is worse than Soon I Will Be Invincible, and better than Fence Magazine)

(image courtesy of failblog.org)

1 comment:

Jacqui said...

I feel your pain. Dashes seem to be my biggest downfall though. Damn you, Emily Dickinson!