Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Canadian Beer

Being a red-blooded, freedom fighting I don't take anything from anyone American like myself I've never really given Canadian beer a chance. I mean why would I assume there's something better than Budweiser and that it would be found in that arctic land up north? Well, to help Glenn remember the good ol' days I went out with him and some friends to celebrate Canada Day. After all, if America was in a war I'd want the Canadian army on my side, and I thought it would be a good way to build solid relationships with some ex-pats since Michael Moore taught me that all Canadians hate Americans. Anyway, what I like most about Canadian beers are that I had a lot of pilsners and lagers. I like that because all the other beer drinkers in the world try to act like ales are sophisticated and the way to go. Instead, Canada is just making some really great stuff. Fuck them, go Canada!

RATING: 86%

4 comments:

DCP said...

Well, I liked the Belgian style Unibroue the best, but I guess that doesn't really count like Moosehead and Molson.

LoCo said...

Canadian beer gave me a 24-hour hangover. Arrrr!

Chris said...

Yeah, but isn't that made in Quebec? I don't know anything about Canadian culture or history, but judging from that beer I'd assume they think they're a little more special than the average Canadian. And that's a shame because it is better to be Canadian than French.

John said...

The Quebecois do their own thing. They make crazy beer like Fin du Monde and Maudite, which are like Colt 45 but fancy. You can get them at the flying saucer, and they will make you puke in a hurry.

Moosehead isn't awful, but it's not great. Like pretty much everywhere else, the best Canadian beers are brewed in small quantities. A lot of them aren't pasteurized, either, which limits their distribution since they have to be refrigerated and cooler space in liquor stores is allocated based on sales. Too bad, because several of our small-batch beers are world class.