Thursday, July 3, 2008

"I Kissed a Girl" by Jill Sobule

I've always loved this song, and my love only increased after watching the adoreably stylized, primary-color-drizzled video. The song is funny because the speaker (as a poet would say) is visited by her female neighbor and rags on her man, and then the speaker rags on her man, and then they kiss. The video depicts the women doing all sorts of cliche, female-type things, such as bearing baked goods and oohing over tupperware, but the extreme cartoonish quality of the video makes these Donna Reed-ish women seem subversive, not steretypical. Jill Sobule also appears in a plain black outfit with shorts, strumming away at her guitar like "FUCK YOU, I kissed a girl, what?" When video-Jill's hubby (played by epitome of pretty testosterone bucket Fabio) comes home, video-Jill is in bed in her leopard nightie and her neighbor peeks out from under the dust ruffle. It's more adoreable than salacious, even as it does imply that maybe something more than kissing was happening in the cardboard cutout cul-de-sac. Strangely, in this video, no girl ever kisses another girl, but as Fabio flips burgers, Jill and Jenny play footsie. The dudes are totally unaware of anything shady going on around them. And as Jill states, her kissing a girl "won't change the world," but she very well "may do it again" (even though Fabio has knocked her up). Now that's dedication.

RATING: 74%

2 comments:

laurie said...

I think this video helped my adolescent self come to terms with my desire to kiss girls. And then I did. Thanks, Jill! And Fabio!

LoCo said...

I believe Fabio is an integral part of making women consider kissing girls.