Sunday, July 6, 2008

Pi-rene's Blueberry Pie

Remember that friend you had who, every week, would bake a new and delicious pie that she'd share with you? Wait, you don't? Sucks for you! For this fourth of July party we went to, my friend Irene made the blueberry pie pictured here (look ma, my own images!). For me, pie is not something like gelato, which no matter who made it or where I get it from I always think it is delicious. Sometimes you get a slice of pie that looks more like a puddle than a slice, as the crust sits sadly atop the ooze of filling that leaks everywhere. I guess my biggest issue is crust, which, when it's bad, tastes like a mouthful of sweet sawdust. But Irene's crust was delicate and flaky and moist, and the filling held a pretty shape and tasted dope. I don't have the patience to figure things out like, how can I make a pie that will not fall apart? How can I concoct the filling and crust so that my pie doesn't suck? That is why I am grateful to Irene for figuring it out for me, and then letting me eat the pie anyway. My only complaint was that when I wanted a second slice, pie was gone! I contemplated licking the pie plate, but thought better of it.

RATING: 97%

No comments: