Tuesday, July 29, 2008

A.R.E. Weapons by A.R.E. Weapons

The other day I watched some documentary about No Wave (the music movement in New York in the 70s and early 80s that Sonic Youth came out of) and they interviewed a bunch of new bands that were influenced by those groups. All of these new bands were totally cocky and sure of themselves (including Liars, the Yeah Yeah Yeahs, and others) and said they were just interested in the fame, and proud of their success. The worst of these guys were the duo A.R.E. Weapons, whose lead singer kept talking about how much he loved all the coke and blowjobs he got from being in some no name band. Anyway, while all of this angered me, I kind of liked the sound of the music so I bought this album for 98 cents off Amazon. It's kind of like The Stooges meet Kraftwerk in a way, with lyrics by some angry rich suburban white 7th grader who's trying to sound tough. I mean, they have a song called "Fuck You, Pay Me," in which the guy just talks about things he wants, and not in a sarcastic way, and also a song called "Street Gang" which I guess is about some motion picture version of street gangs or something? Oh well, it's fine I suppose.

RATING: 46%

1 comment:

John said...

Here's the deal, Sparky: coke and blowjobs are totally awesome, and they're why I joined a band, even if it didn't work. Does that make me a douchebag?

Yeah, I guess it does.