Saturday, July 19, 2008

Batman (1966)

Everybody is familiar with this old tv show, with it's pudgy Adam West as Batman and a general penchant for purposely being ridiculous, and the movie version is exactly the same as all of that. The only difference is when you contain all the camp in half hour installments it's kind of charming, and when you stretch it out over two hours it's just fucking stupid. Also, the show and movie totally bypass Batman and Robin's dark origins because of the child-friendly tone, but then who are they, just a rich guy who happens to live with some kid and fight crime for kicks? Anyway, I can't criticize the camp here, but I can criticize how boring this movie is, and how much time is spent on goddamn boats for some reason. Thumbs down.

RATING: 43%

3 comments:

Jacqui said...

Sorry typo.

Anyway, as much as I like camp, this rendition of Batman was way too campy for me--even in half hour installments. I never had any desire to watch the movie.

LoCo said...

You're calling Adam West in that movie PUDGY? You really are an American now!

Anonymous said...

Shark Repellent Bat Spray is the Best. Bat-gadget. Ever.

I love the scene when Batman couldn't find a place to get rid of the bomb. Lee Meriwether is smokin' hot as Catwoman/Miss Kitka.

But yeah. It's pretty lame, even if you like the campy series. I find it to be funny-bad, but I have to be in the mood for it.

The commentary from Adam West and Burt Ward make the DVD worth checking out.