Sunday, July 20, 2008

Chop't Salads

When I was a little temp wearing corporate drag and looking for a place to quickly buy my lunch so I could run back to my desk and get paid for eating it, Chop't was often my closest lunch option. Despite their slogan of being designers of a "creative salad," Chop't's concept is a great idea that requires zero creativity and one piece of extra equiptment (a half-moon blade with two handles that is used, once you've picked out your salad ingredients, to chop everything up into neat little bits that fit snugly onto your plastic fork). Who wants to try to stuff a WHOLE LEAF of lettuce into your mouth, am I right, guys?? Well, with such a clever concept in place, it's a shame that these salads suck. They just taste like a big goopy blah -- even the leaves taste bad. Plus, I got a salad with a few simple ingredients and no meat whatsoever and it was like nine bucks and change. Whaaat? If I want my gross salad chopped that badly, I will keep a butterknife in my top left desk drawer and chop a less-expensive, better-tasting salad, and bypass the snooty staff who seem to think they're working at Tiffany rather than at some place where they're chopping up cucumbers covered in French dressing.

RATING: 22%

8 comments:

laurie said...

You also forgot to mention that they basically just make salads the way any NYC deli would and then chop them into pieces. I have a feeling the delis were making salads before Chop't.

Anonymous said...

i like their salads. i think the dressings are delicious and i like it more than the other fast food places around.

laurie said...

Have we been infiltrated by a Chop't salad rep?

LoCo said...

Oh weird! Hello Chop't salad lover. I guess the dressing is delicious if you're eating a salad with your Magnolia cupcake best in NY mmmm.

laurie said...

I have to respectfully disagree with you on this cupcake issue since Out of the Kitchen is the best and Magnolia cupcakes taste like cardboard made with powered sugar.

LoCo said...

No no no, I hate Magnolia cupcakes. Basically any specialty cupcake place in NY has better cupcakes than them. But a person who loved Chop't salads would certainly believe in the superiority of a Magnolia cupcake.

(Is Out of the Kitchen that place on Hudson? Whenever I had a bad day at my old publishing job, I would drown my tears in a fat cupcake from someplace there, but I can't for the life of me remember what it was called...)

laurie said...

That is the place on Hudson and damn they have good cupcakes.

LoCo said...

Man I'm so glad you wrote back. I spent my whole commute home wondering if that was indeed the place.

I want a cupcake. :(