Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Chile Relleno at El Ranchito

On my trip to New Braunfels this past week I knew I had to stop at El Ranchito in Seguin to check out their chile relleno. It was an additional piece of great advice from a Tex-Mex expert at work who just finished an article on Vintage Tex-Mex. El Ranchito has been serving some awesome Tex-Mex since 1940. Their chile relleno (a roasted poblano pepper stuffed with chicken and topped with melted cheese) was the recommendation, and it was out of this world. I got the feeling the waiter knew I wasn't screwing around so he offered it with a spicy ranchero sauce on top, instead of the standard tomato sauce, which added a nice kick to the dish. The corn tortiallas served, however, weren't homemade, and that disappointed me just a bit considering the restaurant's history. I've got to say it's not the traditional chile relleno you're expecting (although, there are endless variations in Mexico), but it was a fantastically delicious take on an old Mexican favorite.

RATING: 86%

2 comments:

DCP said...

I just hope somebody else reviews a chile relleno so that tag can have more than one entry.

I had a chile relleno from Ninfa's on Navigacion the other day and I have to say it was ok, but I don't know why everybody thinks that place is the best Mexican place in Houston.

Chris said...

How many lone tags do we have hanging out there now? I just figured I needed to get creative in utilizing all the different opportunities to be stupid. Ninfa's is pretty damn good, though. I've just never had anything but the carnitas or tacos al carbon. I'd swear my life by those.