Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Tim by The Replacements

The Replacements were a good band, led by Paul Westerberg, that made good guitar rock that tended to sound like what would've happened if the Clash and Big Star made a baby who smoked too many cigarettes. Tim is (in my opinion, which is the only one that counts in my review) their best album, because it both rocks, and is disarmingly self-deprecating and intense. The best song on this album also has a great video, which is why I just linked you to it, you're welcome.

Unfortunately, two of the best songs by the Replacements ("Alex Chilton" and "Can't Hardly Wait") aren't on this album...but you can hardly fault the album for that, especially considering "Can't Hardly Wait" was recorded for Tim anyways.

Anywho...this is a good album, and I'm pretty sure if annoying indie rock hipsters had been around twenty years ago, they would've loved it all to pieces, and made me uncomfortable for liking it as well.

RATING: 88%

3 comments:

Jacqui said...

Better than Please to Meet Me, (which does btw include "Alex Chilton" and " Can't Hardly Wait")?

Bryan said...

Start to finish, absolutely, even though those songs are strong.

Jacqui said...

Well, I guess I'm finally going to have to buy Tim then.