Sunday, July 6, 2008

Old-Fashioned Tacos at Matt's El Rancho

Since I had to drive out to Austin yesterday for my cousin's wedding I figured I'd do myself at least one favor and check out Matt's El Rancho, which was one of several restaurants featured in the recent Houston Press. I ordered the Old-Fashioned Tacos (1 ground beef, 2 pecan smoked brisket), which came with charro beans, guacamole, tomatoes, lettuce and an onion/cilantro mix. So what makes them old-fashioned you ask? The two tortillas are dipped in oil, filled with beef, and then pressed by a weight on each side on the griddle. What you get is something that looks close to a fried taco. While the actual flavor of these tacos isn't particularly amazing Robb Walsh was right on about their incredible blend of temperature and texture.

RATING: 87%

3 comments:

laurie said...

Wow, I uh usually eat light before I go to weddings. You know, since you're going to eat a whole meal and then cake at the wedding. Looks like you follow a different philosophy.

DCP said...

That looks delicious and awful for you.

Chris said...

It was awful for me enough that I had to stop after eating 2 of them (I think that says a lot). I just couldn't do it. I had to save the third one, and the incredible thing is I think it was better a day old.