Monday, July 7, 2008

Being a Bridesmaid

There's this popular perception that women in their twenties loathe being bridesmaids, because they have to don horrible dresses and watch, dripping with envy, as their closest friends get married, all the while worrying, When will that be me? I think that perception is some more misogynist bullshit. It implies that women secretly hate each other and can only relate to one another through competition for men. As we move further from the Donna Reed age, it's pretty obvious that not all women want to get married. And not all brides are so self-involved and bitter at leaving singlehood behind that they want their friends to look fug in front of all the guests. I've been a bridesmaid twice now, and my dresses were surprisingly both normal-looking, and under a hundred dollars each. For the black dress, the bride picked the dress for us but it was on super-sale and looks pretty normal and can be reworn easily. For the red, we got a selection and got to pick our own, so if there was a bridesmaid who wasn't a poor student and wanted to rock out in designer bridal, she could. My friends are not catty shrews who want their closest friends to pay $400 to look like they're late for their 80's prom. And as such, I'm happy to rally around them during their wedding, and to be able to witness the panic on their faces as they forget the words to The Lord's Prayer. Single bridesmaids are given carte blanche to find hot wedding guests to sleep with. When paired with a bride who is chill and down-to-earth, bridesmaids get to enjoy the fun of a huge party without the stress of making sure all feuding family members are separated and that Uncle Neal doesn't accidentally eat a pastry with peanuts.

RATING: 71%

4 comments:

DCP said...

Those pastries had peanuts??? Hurkkkkkkkkk....

LoCo said...

Not my problem! Go talk to Mrs. H about it. See? Being a bridesmaid is great.

laurie said...

"[W]omen in their twenties loathe being bridesmaids, because they have to don horrible dresses and watch, dripping with envy, as their closest friends get married, all the while worrying, When will that be me?"

I am extremely embarrassed to admit it, but that's pretty much exactly how I felt as my sister's maid of honor. Self loathing feminist? I guess so. Actually I waffle through intense alternating periods of dying to get married and the more realistic view that my life is awesome and I love it and don't need anyone. It's a real battle.....

Um, the wedding was a lot of fun tho. Shrug?

LoCo said...

Hey, props for honesty. Also I was never maid of honor -- more pressure, maybe? Or maybe just extra pressure because it's your sister, and in situations like that relatives just love to ask when it will be YOUR turn. That's usually a good time to announce that you're gay. NOW whose special day is it, sis?