Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Marques de Riscal Rioja Reserva 2003

I'm naturally predisposed towards Riojas and Rhone Valley reds, so when I saw the Marques de Riscal Rioja Reserva available at Gordon's, I figured I'd grab a bottle while I could. The price was right - $18.99, if I recall. The pairing was a chicken/blue cheese/bacon/romaine dinner salad, so it probably got hurt there (not that the salad was bad, but I'd pair a Chardonnay or Beaujolais, given the option) and I think that may have made it come across as a little too big. Even with that in mind, it had a really nice balance of tannin, acid, and fruit. Hints of blackberry, graphite, and lavender (lavender, really?) make it a really, really good wine for the value - and on a wine scale, I'd rate it a 91.

RATING: 82%

(image courtesy of chocolatebuddha.typepad.com)

2 comments:

DCP said...

Ooooh, trying to class up R3, eh? Somebody needs to review pubes, STAT!

Chris said...

I did one better than pubes. I got Joey Lawrence.