Sunday, July 13, 2008

Hellboy II: The Golden Army

I'll be honest - I liked the first Hellboy, but I never expected in a million years that they'd ever make a sequel. I thought it bombed, and it's a movie about a criminal investigator who is the son of Satan, and you know Americans and their superstitions. But then this director goes and makes Pan's Labyrinth, a pretty bad movie that a lot of people liked, and I guess that gave him the clout to make this sequel, which I suppose is good. The plot is some evil fairies want to kill all humans because they are destroyed the forests and Earth, and Hellboy has to stop them. There's a ton of great fight scenes, and the creature design is phenomenal, so if you want something to tide you over until the Dark Knight comes out this Friday, check this one out why don't ya.

RATING: 67%

5 comments:

John said...

I liked the first Hellboy much more, but they were both decent. And Pan's Labyrinth was a great movie, you douche.

(That means "shower" en Francais).

DCP said...

Meh, I wasn't so big on Pan's Labyrinth. I wished there were more crazy grotesque creatures and less crazy grotesque examples of human cruelty and suffering.

LoCo said...

Yeah, I wanted my money back after seeing Pan's Labrinth. And I was getting paid to watch it. Why would anyone pay money to leave a theatre feeling like total and utter shit?

Hellboy was cute. I feel no need to see the first one ever.

John said...

That's one of the things about magic realism as opposed to fantasy--it's magical, but realistic rather than escapist. The 20th century really was that violent, especially around the time of WW2, etc.

I like when you say things like, "That movie was bad," rather than "I didn't like that movie." Mere opinion is so much more fun (and easier to get mad about) when it's couched in the terminology of objective fact. Motherfucker.

DCP said...

Hey, I feel like the more incendiary we are here, the more likely we'll get more readers mayhaps?

Well, at least in November when the link to R3 is in Gulf Coast we'll get more readers.