Friday, July 11, 2008

Past Imperfect by Suzanne Buffam

Well it's about goddamn time I read a book of poetry I loved since I started this review blog. I mean, I've read some good books (even the last two I read I liked ok), but I don't think I've read one great book since the beginning of the year. Anyway, this is a terrrific (extra 'r' added for emphasis) book of poetry by Canadian poet Suzanne Buffam. The speaker in these poems is desperately searching for something that is missing in her world, but love, language, self, and the world are incapable of completing that gap. The reality and linearity of the poems is constantly shifting, the speaker changing directions like a magician and her magic cards. And boy oh boy can she write a last line! To sum up, go buy this book and read it already, or if you live in Houston and know me you can just borrow it I guess.

RATING: 93%

1 comment:

LoCo said...

WOW. Maybe the Canadian poets are not as dulled by the MFA as some of the ones churning out books here?