Tuesday, March 24, 2009

The Twenty-fourth Amendment

All the other amendments thus far in the countdown have been super boring, but now we finally get to a good one. After the Civil War, it was decreed by America that black people should be allowed to vote. The South was like "AHHH WHAT" so then they decided they would try to sneak around this new law by saying everybody had to pay a "poll tax" to vote, and it just so happened that a lot of black people were too poor to pay the amount (coincidence). Also, the tax would usually only be enforced when black people tried to vote, and the amount would fluctuate suddenly etc. Anyway, in 1965, a scant century later, America decided to put an end to that and passed this amendment, but you can't please everybody and Wyoming, Arizona, Georgia, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Louisiana, South Carolina, and *ahem*texas*ahem* decided they'd show their resistance/dickery by never ratifying it to this day (your bad, fellas).

RATING: 89%

18 comments:

Viking Andrew said...

Ratify my ass. It took a Texan to get that shit passed in the first place.

LoCo said...

Can we have an "Evolution is not merely a theory" thingy to ratify up here in Texas?

Viking Andrew said...

My understanding is that until recently evolution has been taught in science classes in a pretty straightforward manner. I know I learned about it in middle school. Recently, though, a group of conservatives want the Texas Board of Ed. to introduce "weaknesses" into the curriculum. I don't think they have a chance, though.

Of course, evolution is merely a theory, as is gravity. The issue is how that word theory is tossed around in the debate--it's used all too often in a non-scientific way.

Viking Andrew said...

Hey, did anybody else have a middle school teacher who drank? I mean, kept a flask in their desk?

Walter Benjamin and the Mechanical Reproductions (the band) said...

i dont relly beleive in evolution b/c chr*st teaches that dinosaurs are made up by the liberal inteligensia (christ 58)

Bryan said...

Andrew,

Nope...only a high school teacher. We're pretty sure it's what killed him mid-term.

Viking Andrew said...

We had high school drinker teacher, too. She was crazy; if a student was saying something stupid, she'd grab a red dry-erase marker and run it over her wrists repeatedly, as if it were a razor

Anonymous said...

My band teacher in 7th grade drank during class (but in his office, so that's ok?).

laurie said...

Is that the same band teacher I had in 7th grade? The one who sometimes ate dog biscuits that he kept in his shirt pocket? I didn't know he was drinking. Although now that I remember that dog biscuit thing maybe I should have.

PS - Glenn was in my band class in 7th grade.

Viking Andrew said...

Band? Oh, god. Where am I?

John said...

That's weird, since Glenn was also in my band class in grade 7.

Don't you Americans know that 8 comes after 7?

Jeez.

laurie said...

Glenn was a year ahead of me in school and the class was 7+8 grades. So suck on that, jerkface.

John said...

It shows.

laurie said...

I hate you so much.

John said...

Remember, sad pony.

laurie said...

No one wants to see your furry costume, John.

Anonymous said...

Good question, Laurie. But no. I was in beginning band in grade 7, so we didn't have the same teacher. I had the dog biscuit guy in grade 8. (And, for those keeping score at home, I was one year behind Laurie and two behind Glenn.)

Chris said...

I'm pretty sure my Spanish teacher drank vodka from a water bottle during class.