Sunday, March 22, 2009

Other People's Messes

Copy editing for money is good, because you get money, but it's also bad, because if your customer knows a copy editor is going to clean up her mess, she'll leave a whole bunch of mangled citations and misspelled words with the expectation that the copy editor will fix them. I used to wash dishes in this shitty restaurant, and it was kind of the same deal--cooks would drop salmon fillets and pork chops on the floor and just kind of kick them under the counter because they knew some minimum wage-making sucka (i.e. me) would end up getting down on his hands and knees and picking them up. Eventually, a stack of pans fell on my head and cut my dishwater-soaked hand open and I bled all over the floor so I quit, but not before I had to walk by the lineup of people waiting to get into the Rockin' Rodeo like 50 times in a dirty kitchen apron carrying a bunch of gross, leaking garbage bags. Hey, ladies.

RATING: Digital janitor%

(Image from cache.gawker.com.)

7 comments:

Viking Andrew said...

Weird you posted this. I'm grading papers right now and feel about the same way.

Anonymous said...

Ohhh IJ, the ladies are saying "Hi" back! BNL, lookout! IJ in a dirty apron (and nothing else but socks, I hope) is raising some eyebrows.
IJ, how do you keep YOUR shower clean?

Lexi - of Lexi and Annie

John said...

@Andrew
Isn't it different when said papers are being graded? What's wrong with kids these days?

And I don't think the coincidence is that weird--there are a lot of lowly scriveners on this blog.

@Lexi
Hi! I haven't seen you since my bachelor party!

I actually don't clean my shower. My wife cleans it when she gets home from work, like God intended.

DCP said...

I hope you charged the person a lot to copy edit her paper.

laurie said...

I'm writing a paper right now that Glenn has agreed to edit for me. I'll be sure to leave a bunch of misspelled words and shit in there. (Actually I won't because I'm showing it to my professor tomorrow and I'd be embarrassed if he saw it looking like shitola.)

laurie said...

Also, whoa! The layout! It would be fun to change it every day until we find one we like. Let's try some cool colors next. (Cool as opposed to warm, not the other kind of cool. Well, that kind of cool, too, but you know what I mean.)

Viking Andrew said...

I like it. I really really like it.