Wednesday, March 18, 2009

The Big Dance

It’s March, which means March Madness!®©™ March Madness occurs when paunchy men and women trying to impress men all over the country waste company time by filling out their “brackets:” choosing which college basketball team will shoot more baskets (or “hoops,” as it were) and which team will shoot enough baskets to win the national championship. It’s a better system than the college football BCS (which is basically a gravy train run by ATT, Tostitos, etc., and university administrators; if you’ve ever wondered why universities seem to put more emphasis on football than they do academics, just look at these numbers. Your 4.0 GPA doesn’t mean shit to anyone but Grandma.) because smaller teams, sometimes referred to as Cinderellas, actually have a chance. The downside is there are so many goddamn teams—sixty-four—and that guy Clark in the next cubicle keeps harassing you to get your bracket in on time, bro! Never fear. Viking Andrew is here to help you out with three count them three first round predictions.

1. Ohio St. vs. Siena: OSU looked pretty weak against Purdue, but Purdue has a good outfit this year. Still, I’d say the Buckeyes are in trouble; they have to play a form of limonite clay in the first round! Go with Siena, in the upset (unless OSU pulls it off and wins. Then, go with the Buckeyes).

2. Duke vs. Binghamton: Binghamton has an athletic program? How cute! Go with Duke in an absolute bloodbath .

3. UNC vs. Radford: The Tar Heels are absent their best player, Ty Lawson who’s sitting out the first round with an injured toe (this is basketball, after all). They looked pathetic against Florida State last week. Still, UNC has Tyler Hansbrough, who never closes his mouth, ever . Something about his dumb-face will help UNC past the first round and, in all likelihood, into the Final Four.

I’m out of time / room. Read my addendum in the comments section, and good luck everyone!!!!!!!!

Oh yeah: I hate basketball.

Rating: 46%

24 comments:

Viking Andrew said...

Addendum:

I spent an hour yesterday on Yahoo! Sports filling out two brackets, just for R3: one was serious (with Memphis winning) and the other projected Stephen F. Austin State beating Binghamton in the finals, 35-33, thus ruining athletics forever. But Yahoo! Sports wouldn’t let me post them publicly without joining a “league.” What the hell? So, sorry to all R3ers. But I’ll answer your bracket questions if you call my new 900 number! 1-900-666-FUCK! It’s only five dollars a minute!

LoCo said...

I am shocked by how many people follow college sports. Isn't that what we have professional sports for? So no one has to give a shit once they graduate college?

P.S. I once went to an Ivy league football game... you've never seen so many skinny, short little men! Hi-larious.

laurie said...

Oh loco, maybe if you had five years of brainwashing at a big sports school like I did, you'd care about sports, too. (I'm guessing sports were not big at Wellesley.) Actually, I know next to nothing about sports, but I blindly want my team to win. It's been deeply ingrained in my psyche. Go Noles!

Walter Benjamin and the Mechanical Reproductions (the band) said...

idontcare

Viking Andrew said...

Fla. State looks pretty good this year. I think they'll make a run.

I'm sad (n)BNL doesn't like college basketball. I'd assumed he and your cousin Anthony would both own a Tar Heels baseball cap or jersey (worn to court hearings without an undershirt beneath).

Walter Benjamin and the Mechanical Reproductions (the band) said...

i didn go to college cause of criminal records

laurie said...

BNL doesn't need college because he is an evil genius.

LoCo said...

My school didn't even have a mascot. We were the Blue. And even though it was a women's college, the rugby players were bigger than those aforementioned Ivy League football guys. Mmmm.

And yeah my mother, aunt, and godmom are all about Joel. When my mom first told me about him she was like, "He doesn't really talk about Jesus," (none of my family is religious) "he just talks about being a good person." I was like, oh, okay. But then I watched an episode (?) in which people held up a bible and chanted, literally chanted some speech that the whole audience new, for like 3 minutes. Umm. :/

Chris said...

I took Memphis in one of my brackets here at work. I'm looking for a bracket champion 3-peat this year. I plan to pay my rent in May from the winnings.

Of course, the person who won 2nd place last year had never watched a college game in her life.

Bryan said...

I only have 1 bracket, but I took Memphis too. I have proof that they can win, like, 6 games in a row.

Viking Andrew said...

If it helps all the Libs on this blog, Obama has chosen UNC to win it all.

Chris said...

Liberals like sports?

Viking Andrew said...

Liberals don't like anything.

laurie said...

I hear Liberals like your mom.

Walter Benjamin and the Mechanical Reproductions (the band) said...

liberalls like taxes and sodomy

Walter Benjamin and the Mechanical Reproductions (the band) said...

and criminals and graduate skool

Walter Benjamin and the Mechanical Reproductions (the band) said...

and communism

Walter Benjamin and the Mechanical Reproductions (the band) said...

hey yall should set up a way we can booleen search for things by score so that we can find out wat liberalls really like im just spiting out foxnews talking points

Walter Benjamin and the Mechanical Reproductions (the band) said...

(for ex. search:

"laurie >50%")

Walter Benjamin and the Mechanical Reproductions (the band) said...

o yea liberalls aslo love opera and takign away personal libertees

Walter Benjamin and the Mechanical Reproductions (the band) said...

(like my rite to say a ethinc slur ina public bathroom or my rite to not hire glen b/c he's a arabian)

Walter Benjamin and the Mechanical Reproductions (the band) said...

or my rite to not mary gay persons

LoCo said...

No actually not brent, we're okay with you marying a gay persons.

Chris said...

I think liberals don't like sports because they don't like to see people lose.

It's cool guys, don't play too hard because everyone is a winner!