Sunday, March 29, 2009

Mellow Gold by Beck

In high school, everybody knew the song "Loser," but I didn't know one person who owned this actual album. And that's not surprising - it has an extremely lo-fi and abrasive sound, mixes bizarre electronic sampling with a folk sensibility, and could only be considered a "rock" album because it would have been impossible to classify it as anything else. That Beck ever even made it onto a major label with an album like this is nothing less than astonishing. In other words, it's a pretty good album if I do say so myself. So if you like hiss, sampling, acoustic guitars, yelling, and noise, this album is probably up your alley not to be dirty.

RATING: 73%

4 comments:

John said...

I like Scientologists. Does that count?

Me said...

Wait, that song was a part of an album? Oh, wow.

laurie said...

Yeah, I'm embarrassed to say that I was a big Beck fan for many years, but have never actually listened to this album.

Also, @O.K.: Cool suit icon.

Chris said...

I hate to be the indie-hipster kid, but you've never listened to Mellow Gold?

And I hate Scientologists, John. Does that count?

Just kidding, guys! I'd be one if I was a millionaire.