Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Rachel Getting Married

Here's a movie that got a lot of what's referred to as "critical acclaim" by "critics" who don't like pesky things in movies like "enjoyability" or "likable characters." It's about a psychotic self-centered drug addict who is released from the mental hospital just in time for her sister's wedding two days later, fun! It's realistic, in that everybody gives insufferable speeches for most of the movie/wedding, and also since I know people like Anne Hathaway's character I just spent the whole movie hoping she wouldn't say something embarassing or dumb a million times (no dice). If this were fiction workshop, somebody might criticize the lack of direction, story arc, and moment of revelation, but also if this were fiction workshop I'd be asleep or listening to my crazy professor drone on about some bizarre insect bite she got on her scalp while explaining her half hour tardiness. Oh, now I get it - the movie is about every writing professor when he or she is young, that's why everybody I know loved it.

RATING: 53%

16 comments:

John said...

I still don't even know what a "workshop" is. Where I'm from, universities have classes.

John said...

Also, I think it's Jonathan Demme. I'm not sure what kind of dicktard would spell his name Johnathan, but I bet he'd be an asshole, and a dog-misogynist to boot.

McT's Girlfriend said...

I guess a 53% rating is about right for the story line and stuff like that. But if one factors in that Anne Hathaway is gorgeous (except for her character’s unsexy hairdo), that should push the rating up to about 90%. However, because of lines like “and may all of your ups and downs come only in the bedroom,” I would deduct 5% to end up with a rating of 85%.

laurie said...

McTavish: I don't get that quote. Is she bulimic?

McT's Girlfriend said...

Ha ha. Initially, I thought that too, but purging in the bedroom is a no-no as it would be too messy (at least for a movie), and after all that’s what the kitchen sink is for.

No, I think the quote is a reference to up and down bunk beds—especially those new fancy ones from IKEA. They used to be just for kids, but not any more. Apparently it’s a new trend. Modern couples, especially the intelligent and pretty ones, prefer bunk beds over double beds as the bunks help them to avoid accidentally having sex. And nowadays, as you know, it seems that no one actually wants to have sex (that’s why I’m not getting much), they just want to talk about it. In fact the movie shows Rachel and her new husband, on their honeymoon, in different bunks, not having sex. Very refreshing, I thought, and I didn’t end up feeling bad about not getting laid that night.

laurie said...

Actually I misread the quote as saying all the ups and downs come in the BATHROOM. That's why I thought of the purging.

laurie said...

But thanks for trying to explain, jackass.

McT's Girlfriend said...

My pleasure, asshole.

laurie said...

So nice to have you back McT.

John said...

Hey McTavish, why'd you delete like 10 of your comments the other day?

McT's Girlfriend said...

Huh? Whatcha talkin aboot?

John said...

Oh, I don't know, only about a million "Comment deleted by author" notifications on this post.

McT's Girlfriend said...

That's so three-days-ago, you expect me to remember?

McT's Girlfriend said...

Whoops, should have said:

That's so three-days-ago, you expect me to remember, motherfucker.

laurie said...

So I suffered through, er, watched this movie last night with Dirk...and wow, it sucked. It was like sitting through the boring wedding of someone you don't really know that well (a cousin maybe, or co-worker). Maybe, like real weddings, it would have been more fun if I was loaded.

Jacqui said...

Worst. Movie. Ever.