Monday, March 16, 2009

Otter Creek Russian Imperial Stout

I bought a bottle at Spec's because Otter Creek brews several solid beers. It's only sold in a 22 oz. bottle or on draught, and at 10.6% ABV it's extremely strong. The beer pours as black and thick as motor oil with roasted coffee, fruits, and chocolate on the nose. The taste is complex with a hoppy bitterness followed by a light smokiness and sweet burnt coffee and unsweetened cocoa on the finish. Considering the high alcohol content of this beer the booziness is hidden fairly well by the incredible balance of hops and malts. This is without a doubt the best beer I've had this year.

RATING: 94%

6 comments:

laurie said...

you really seem to like coffee flavored things.

Chris said...

I really don't, but I just happened to buy a bottle of this stout and a six-pack of the porters the other day.

Now that I think about it that's fairly out of character for me, but whatever.

DCP said...

Boy, I can't wait for the days when I can afford to buy a beer that isn't Loan Star again.

LoCo said...

Chris been doin' lotta drinkin' of late.

laurie said...

I've already penciled in the R3 intervention for sometime near the end of the summer when I expect him to hit rock bottom.

shoppista said...

I don't even like beer, and you made this beer sound good.