Sunday, March 15, 2009

Bookstore Sections


I was searching for a book in Borders. Specs: a new paperback memoir by a staff writer for The Atlantic. Should have been easy to find -- New Nonfiction, right? Or New in Paperback? Bestselling Nonfiction? New in Memoir? Any featured section, face-up, next to a biography of Andrew Jackson? I couldn't find it anywhere. A search of the useless Borders computer told me it was "likely in store," but not where it was "likely" to be. Thanks for nothing, Borders computer! My boyfriend used to work at Borders, so I finally called him, described the book I was looking for, and asked if there were other memoir or nonfiction sections that I hadn't come across yet. "I bet it's in the African American section," he guessed. I argued that it wouldn't be; it wasn't a historical book or some sort of sociological case study. "Doesn't matter," he said. "Go look."

And why I'll be! There is was, right in African American, right there hidden in the back of the store. First off, don't hide new books in the back of the store and then wonder why branches all over the country are closing. Second, maybe don't file books exclusively by the skin color of their author. What do you think the average readership of The Atlantic looks like? Beloved gets to go in the Literature section, but is Zane under romance, or shelved next to The Beautiful Struggle? I haven't read a ton of Zane, but something tells me she doesn't belong on a shelf next to Ta-Nehisi Coates.

RATING: 8%

THE BEAUTIFUL STRUGGLE by Ta-Nehisi Coates: 87%

15 comments:

Dirk said...

Of course being a loser law student I now read nothing that is not a casebook, in the hope of someday making enough money to crush the “little man.” That said on the one hand you have Ta-Nehisi Coates tackling weighty subject matter like black family relations, and post civil rights segregation, and on the other you have Zane with fine work like Gettin' Buck Wild the Sex Chronicles. Then again they is both black lump them suckers together on the same shelf totally rational! Not to denigrate Zane's fine work without having read any especially since I've been told she writes one hell of steamy novel, but I'm gonna go out on a limb and say these authors probably should be in different sections. Just one more reason to hate Borders, and one other issue to add to my bag of “black rage” that I try to keep close at hand.

laurie said...

I'm pretty sure I saw a big guy reading that Purple Panties book on a bus once.

LoCo said...

Laurie, that is an AMAZING visual.

Dirk, I'm sorry that the life of a law student leaves little time for reading Zane! That's tragic. It just made me feel so disheartened to see Coates' fine prose within spitting distance from the mangled narrative of HIDING IN HIP-HOP (which, I won't lie, captivated me).

laurie said...

Yeah, I secretly kind of want to read that book now. Not because of the fat man but because of the hot purple panty lesbian cover.

laurie said...

This review reminded me that I've been meaning to buy that new Andrew Jackson biography for months. And so I just ordered it. Thanks, loco!

LoCo said...

An-y-time! That Andrew Jackson... he so crazy.

Walter Benjamin and the Mechanical Reproductions (the band) said...

whose your boyfriend

LipstickMom123 said...

Your right loco! The days of segragation were a sad time indeed for the ol' US of A! But one time, I was taking a trip through the Alabama with an old Latin boyfriend of mine and boy was I happy for those extra bathrooms!

LipstickMom123 said...

Fried green tomatos my toe!

Viking Andrew said...

I'm back from Mississippi, and apparently I've missed a lot, not the least R3's new policy re: cow-towing to new and/or non-posting readers. Apparently R3 is my grandfather's New Yorker subscription now? Good good.

Actually, what I really wanted to ask was about supermarkets. I mean, isn't a little weird that supermarkets do the same thing as bookstores (I'm speaking of ethnicity)--that there are labels for "Hispanic Foods" and "Asian Foods." Or is this just me?

laurie said...

I don't think it's weird in grocery stores. It makes it easy to find the hoisin sauce.

LoCo said...

I was in England with my old roommate in a supermarket and she tried so hard to steer me away from the "Oriental" section. When I saw it I literally gasped.

Walter Benjamin and the Mechanical Reproductions (the band) said...

were you in misisispi to anonamously murder a vagrant cause i heard on yahoo news that happens a lot with middle class white people

Walter Benjamin and the Mechanical Reproductions (the band) said...

follow up aer you middle class and whit cause i havent really been read anyone coments in weeks

Viking Andrew said...

Middle class whites go to Mississippi to murder vagrants? Wow, I wish I'd known that was an option last weekend. I thought middle class whites only went to Mississippi to pretend for a moment they've read Faulkner.