Monday, March 30, 2009

The Grand Tour

Hey Magellan. Please don’t take this the wrong way. I mean, I’m glad you had a good time. I was perfectly fine with your superlative-heavy recounting of the night you and Sven (a distant relative to your cousin Anthony only, you know, with an accent!) took shrooms and stared at a Francis Bacon for hours. I didn’t mind your insistence to tell me, ad nauseam, how European culture is “just so different, you don’t even know.” I think what did me in was the 86th photo on your iMac slideshow of that fjord in Norway. You know, the one almost identical to the 85th photo on your iMac slideshow? Both of which you described as “soo soo magical”? I don’t mind you traveling—I’m kind of glad to have you out of the country—but please, if you happen to experience something deep and transcendent, something that drastically changes your understanding of The Self, please, keep it to The Self.

Rating:
Travel: Fun-and-Cool%
That Fjord in Norway: Boring%

7 comments:

John said...

Do you know anyone that actually described a fjord as "soo soo magical?" Because I think you're making that up.

Also, have you ever been to Europe? I went with some Czech Friends to Amsterdam, and what madcap adventures we had! I'd tell you about them, but I guess you had to be there. Well, anyway, we went to a head shop and got some mushrooms (they were legal so long as they were fresh), and we were sitting 4 of us in the car tripping balls, when the cops knocked on the window and told us we had to move the car. Mind you, it was a British car, and our Australian driver kept steering into the wrong lane, as if he were driving in Australia! It was the craziest time ever.

Well, I guess I've made my point. As well as I can make it, anyway. It's just so different, you couldn't possibly understand what I'm talking about!

This other time I got kicked out of the Czech Republic for not having a valid visa, and I had to sleep in a Subway station in the winter in Vienna, and then I got food poisoning at a hostel 2 days later, and clogged the sink with my puke in a room I was sharing with like 6 other people. OMG, It was the worst time ever!

Viking Andrew said...

You're the king, John. Beer Friday, no doubt.

Viking Andrew said...

And yes, I have indeed heard a fjord described as "soo soo magical." I'll tell you about it on beer Friday.

John said...

OMG, you know how they pronounce "no doubt" in Newcastle? "Nae doot." I guess you can't really know how funny people from Newcastle are until you've met one, in Europe of course, but they're really a hoot, like this one time I was in a bar in Europe, and this guy from Newcastle came in and as he came down the stairs he looked at us and said, "I know what you're thinking, and no, I'm not out of your league." It was the funniest night ever, but I can't possibly explain how funny it was to someone who wasn't there. Also, their toilets and showers are in totally different rooms--weirdest bathrooms ever.

Walter Benjamin and the Mechanical Reproductions (the band) said...

is mexico in europ

LoCo said...

yes.

Anonymous said...

i would start my own blog but it's so much easier to be obsessed with someone else's