Friday, March 20, 2009

Peter Porter's "The Little Fish Have Gone"


I'm reviewing another Poetry Daily poem so I hope you're all emotionally mature enough to sit through this quietly.

Today's featured poem by Peter Porter is called "The Little Fish Have Gone." According to his bio on the link page, Peter Porter is an old guy (80 years old), but I'm an old guy too and no one ever cut me a break.

The poem itself is a trifling little parable of fish in an aquarium where all the little fish lived "free" but died and all the big fish are left in the tank "looking guilty" under the God-like eyes of the pet owners. Well I don't buy it! When old people die it's progress. I'm only still alive because I'm the toughest junkyard dog you know! (I'm talking to you Reviews, Reviews, Reviews readers and don't forget it!)

Whatever. Formally uninteresting, descriptively boring, syntactically robotic ("The morning census bides a tear[!]") it's like Mr. Porter was trying to pack as much terrible writing into ten short lines as he possibly could.

Rating: 10% (Grade inflation.)

11 comments:

laurie said...

If this blog is just going to post poetry reviews I am totally going to quit reading it. It's like you only have stupid writers reviewing shit. Why don't you get a nice lawyer to review some stuff. That would be fucking sweet.

Walter Benjamin and the Mechanical Reproductions (the band) said...

damn!

Professor T. X. La Mercier said...

Listen here, Princess! I didn't get a PhD from Westwood Online college to take a bunch of crap from a bunch of trust-fund elitist Northeastern civvies. So if you don't like poems then sit in the back of the class with the fetal alcohol kids and spastics!

laurie said...

Don't think that I won't kick your ass because you are an old man/teddy bear. Because I will rip your faggy poetry reading head off mother fucker!!

John said...

I like poetry reviews.

An alpha lich is worth like $88. I can remember when it used to be more. Don't play those games much these days, though. I've got laid once or twice in my day using Tarot cards, but Magic cards are like vagina repellant.

DCP said...

Dram, Professor, you're harsh. Have you read anything by Richard Siken? He's my personal hero.

LoCo said...

Professor are you allowed to review poems you like? Do you like poems at all, ever? I don't like most poems and so as a result I don't review poems. Just a thought.

McT's Girlfriend said...

@ Professor X

So far, you’ve been a magnificent addition to R3. As far as I can tell you’ve done nothing inappropriate, and your thoughts seem as pure as spring melt-water in a mountain stream. However, a very disturbing news clip was brought to my attention by a colleague. It involves a balding, middle-aged male professor accidentally having sex with a female freshmen. And I don’t know why, but I couldn’t help but think of you.

The report is about a prof who appears to have an ass cabin right on campus. The clip is shocking, especially the scene in a hot-tub where it looks like they are doing it---dare I say---doggy style. It’s outrageous and sinful. Only smut lovers should view it.

Now, let me make this clear, I am not trying to suggest that you’re involved in such tawdry behavior. But you are a handsome professor, so one can easily see why a young lass, who may want to improve her grades, would go to see you for extra "help." I bring this to your attention only to alert you to what could happen. Young women nowadays will do almost anything to get a leg up on their male classmates. In fact, there is a theory circulating in academia that this is what explains why there are more women with 4.0 GPAs than men.

Walter Benjamin and the Mechanical Reproductions (the band) said...

lol i jon plays magick the faggening

John said...

Don't let Tom Junglebung catch you hetero normanizing NBNL he'll have some harsh words for you.

Walter Benjamin and the Mechanical Reproductions (the band) said...

wat kind of retard fake name is that