Thursday, March 19, 2009

Five Things Comprising Viking Andrew's Gigantic Cornucopia of Shit

Being broke might’ve been fun in school, when everyone around you was broke too and you could go to a party and say, “I’m so broke,” and your pals would say, “Me, too. God, I’m sooo broke,” and fall out in laughter. Take it from me, kids: it ain’t so fun when you’re in your twenties or thirties and out of school and still broke and everybody’s like, I thought you had a master’s and you try to explain to them that you do, that you got your master’s in being broke and now nobody at the cocktail party is laughing; they don’t think that’s a very funny joke. Sometimes you drink, but then people say Hey I bet if you quit drinking you wouldn’t be so broke. You can try explaining it to them, but fuck it; have they ever read The Collected Work of Insignificant Writer?

I see a pattern emerging here at R3.

Rating: 10% (Points added for the martyrdom delusion that comes with empty pockets)

(Photo courtesy humor)

14 comments:

John said...

You get invited to cocktail parties? Fucking Christ, I live in the wrong part of town.

Let's get beers soon. I'll buy. We can drink Loan Star.

Viking Andrew said...

Yeah, yeah. I'm down if you're buying.

Viking Andrew said...

Also, Work should be Works but I'm too fucking lazy to change it.

LoCo said...

Right on, Andrew! Except, sorry to break it to you, a lot of people around us were/are not actually broke. They are pretending to be poor, too, but they are funded by the bank of Mommy & Daddy. If there's anything worse than being broke, it's being not broke and pretending you are broke to broke people.

Viking Andrew said...

Good point, Loco. I almost made a caveat in the post re: the trust fund situation, but decided against it. You're absolutely right about that, and it drives me insane...like it's some sort of social experiment for these people.

John said...

Yeah, but if they were acting all rich you'd just hate them more. I know, let's tax them heavily and redistribute their money to the people who really deserve it.

Chris said...

Good idea, John. We can subsidize programs that just end up keeping the homeless homeless.

Anonymous said...

Dear Chris and John,

I cannot tell you how delighted I am to see two bright (public education) young men fight the good fight--teling the Libs and Feminazis where they can shove it, and seeing no moral discrepancy in my new, $38 mil a year contact. To those without money, I say: it's your fault! Get a job!

John said...

Dear Rush
RE: Your $38 million a year contact: aren't you worried you'll lose it? Those things are pretty hard to find when they fall out. You'd probably save some money if you got a pair of glasses like Glenn's instead. You could win a fight with them someday, and I bet they're dirt cheap.

Anonymous said...

If someone is rich and I'm poor, that must mean they stole my money. That's how economies work, right? Uh, I mean, how do economies work? Didn't Marx say... uh, well, I don't really know because I guess I haven't read Marx. Or Smith. Or Hayek. But I had an allowance once when I was 11, which consisted of my parents telling me how much they thought I deserved and then handing it to me on the first of the month, so I must know what I'm talking about.

laurie said...

Well Andrew, you'll just have to marry a rich lady who is willing to support you. Just be sure you get a good book deal (or tenure job...I can't remember whether you write poetry or fiction...I am a bad friend) before she finds out about the ass cabin.

Walter Benjamin and the Mechanical Reproductions (the band) said...

its p. suck that no one has jobs around here but i do and im p. rich and heavy invested in gold so when the ecomony collapses ill be okay and ill set up a trust fund for r3 if yall let me post...

Walter Benjamin and the Mechanical Reproductions (the band) said...

that d be a tax right off rite?

Chris said...

Rush, I hate you.

I forgot to mention I hate more Republicans than I hate Democrats.