Thursday, March 12, 2009

The League Of Extraordinary Gentlemen Vol. 2

Volume Two of Alan Moore's dense graphic novel love letter to 19th Century literature follows the "superhero" team of literary characters assembled in the first volume as they attempt to repel a Martian invasion straight from the pages of War of the Worlds. It's not quite as amazing as the first volume (the team spends most of the book broken into two groups, and three of the cliffhanger reveals involve pods landing on Earth), but it's still a lot of fun to read, and the art is gorgeous. To me, this is more Mr. Hyde's book, as he's the one who seems to go through the most actual character development, although the tryst between Quartermain and Mina Murray is gross/interesting. I haven't read The Black Dossier, and Century certainly looks weird in a good way, but if the series had ended here, I can't say I'd be unhappy with things, if that sounds like a ringing endorsement.

RATING: 83%

9 comments:

John said...

The Dossier is a much more challenging read. I still haven't read the whole Shakespeare play. It's pretty risqué overall, though. The 3D ending is very Promethea-like.

Is Century still coming out in March or April?

I've tried to get lots of people into Moore, and I find LXG is one that you almost have to be a comic geek or lit geek to get into. Everyone likes Watchmen, most people like V for Vendetta, and I don't even bother recommending Promethea to most people, but LXG people are always like (in a whining voice), "But I already saw the movie," or "I don't know who the characters aaaare."

Belabras said...

Top 10 is my personal favorite, and one of the most easy to get into.

LXG just stopped really working for me after awhile.

Anonymous said...

Where do I find the extraordinary gentleman?

laurie said...

Many years of field tests have led me to believe that extraordinary gentleman are a myth.

DCP said...

Issue one of Century is still slated for April, and is going to be a 72 page behemoth.

John said...

Has anyone here read Lost Girls?

laurie said...

No, but I read the wikipedia entry just now. I can't figure out how, but I'm pretty sure you're insulting me.

John said...

Maybe life in general is one long insult to women, variously subtle and crass.

Or maybe all roads lead to New York.

:o

laurie said...

Now I know you're making fun of me.