Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Madballs

A Month Of Halloweenie Reviews #7

Madballs were not specifically made for Halloween time, but were little baseball sized toys shaped like heads with various injuries. They started making them again recently, except now if you squeeze them then squishy brain gel packs bulge out of their heads. I was obsessed with them as a child, and remember having a story assigned in Grade 2 that I had to rewrite because all the main characters were Madballs, and our teacher didn't want us to use licensed characters. Like, what, I was going to sell that shit and get in trouble for copyright infringement?

RATING: 67%

9 comments:

Timmaaay!!! said...

My mom absolutely refused to let my brother and me buy these. He eventually got one and kept it hidden in his room. What a rebel.

It was the one toward the bottom left of the picture with its tongue out.

Viking Andrew said...

My parents were the same way, only with Garbage Pail Kids. I remember meeting with a girl down the street whose parents were obviously sinners, and looking at a few GPKs. Felt a lot like the time in fifth grade when a kid on the bus had a few clippings from his dad's tit-mag.

LoCo said...

I had a ton of these, at my religious grandmother's house, no less. And GPK stickers all over my toy box (not a euphemism).

I.J. said...

The new ones kinda suck. Skullface looks stupid, and there's no Argh or Fistface.

I never realized why they changed Crack Head's name to Bash Brain until I read the Wikipedia article.

Quammy said...

I was a big fan of all things gross when I was a kid. I had one real Madball and a couple of the knockoff ones. As far as the toys went though, I think I liked the comic better. I remember Marvel (and their kids imprint Star Comics) had a number of comic books based on popular children's toys (ie: Madballs, He-Man, G.I. Joe, Popples, the Care Bears, etc).

Internet John said...

"Screamin' Meemie

"Just for the record, Screamin' Meemie hates baseball...He does, however, enjoy shattering windows by screaming like a little girl."

I'm not really sure how a baseball with a face is supposed to be gross, but I think someone should let AGKidzone know what year it is.

Internet John said...

There's also this and this.

Internet Robyn said...

Be careful, Quammy. You are getting seriously close to stepping on Glenn's comic guru toes.

LoCo said...

POPPELS comic books omg.