Thursday, October 1, 2009

Idiocracy

Directed by Mike Judge, Idiocracy was released direct to DVD in 2007. In the movie, a librarian and a prostitute who are put into suspended animation for 500 years wake up to a world where everyone is an idiot. The movie is a science ficitony satire of corporations and dysgenics. Despite having some very clever ideas and jokes, the movie has some noticeable plot and structure issues. Much like Office Space, Mike Judge's previous movie, Idiocracy has become a cult favorite.

Rating: Harrison Bergeron without the bureaucracy%

(Image from amazon.ca)

6 comments:

Belabras said...

I'm ashamed to admit, I would probably vote for President Camacho.

DCP said...

I saw this when it was in the theater for two seconds. I don't like the narration, and the movie is clunky, but it's fun to quote. Probably more fun than it is to watch.

Quammy said...

@Glenn

I couldn't agree more about the narration. I once read a book by Roger Corman and he said whenever he was making a movie, if they couldn't make sense of the scenes they shot, they'd just add a narrator to fill in the gaps. That's pretty well what happened to Idiocracy.

Viking Andrew said...

Well, yes. It's no Office Space, and while the premise has its faults, I loved the film. My students, however, don't think it's very funny.

Internet John said...

I haven't seen it. I loved Office Space (and its soundtrack), but I don't like any of Mike Judge's other work that I've seen so I never made it a priority. Everyone I've spoken with has said pretty much the same thing: Funny idea, poor execution.

LoCo said...

Funny that your students don't think it's funny, VA... maybe because they're living in it? I think that's the same reason I didn't find White Noise good/funny when I read it two years ago.