Thursday, August 7, 2008

Boston's Subway System


Now that I actually live in the city of Boston proper, I've spent a bunch of time on the subway (heretofore called "The T", because that's what people call it here), and I think it's a pretty good subway system. It's pretty clean, it runs pretty quickly (even though the train at my stop has TONS of little stops), and I haven't seen a whole lot of crazy people on it yet.

I'm not sure how expensive subway tickets are in other big cities, but any ride on the T here is about two dollars, slightly less with the aforementioned ubiquitous CharlieCard. That seems like a lot to me, but hey, it's better than giving the money to BIG OIL (which is so big it gets capitalized).

Also, the T isn't terribly complicated (New York, Tokyo...I'm looking at you) and consists of five lines, one of which is split into four more lines, and each of the five major lines is color-coded, which is good for both kindergardeners and myself.

RATING: 80%

(image courtesy of freefoto.com)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Holy shit! The T is up to two bucks!? It was 1.35 most of the time I was there. Then they raised it to 1.75. That's some shit.

Sarah said...

Remember when I puked on the T? Maybe that's why they jumped the prices...

Jacqui said...

Speaking of non-complicated subway systems, the London Underground (aka the tube) was suprisingly easy to use. It is certainly better than Brussels.

LoCo said...

Two dollars seems a hefty price to ride five lines that don't even go very far. And I cannot excuse the T for shutting down at midnight, leaving me to queue in the freezing snow for a taxi. Also, "inbound," "outbound"? In and out of WHAT? Oh man I'm sorry. I really loathe the T.

Kelly Curtis said...

Hi there! Boston is great. Nice review! I see you used my subway photo. Could you please attribute the photo link to the original page so your readers can find it? Thanks so much!

laurie said...

Haha, BUSTED.