Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Whole Foods

I'll just get right to it and say that I think Whole Foods sucks. I mean it really really blows. Maybe I'm not hip enough to get it, but I do know how much contempt I have for the whole experience (pun intended, of course). I think I was talking to Glenn a few weeks ago about Whole Foods when he informed me how environmentally unfriendly the company's practices are to Mother Earth/Jesus. So, I decided to do a little hard-hitting investigative research and after like 50 seconds of rigorous searching I found a great article from Slate. Well I guess I like that they pay their workers a lot, but then again I don't work there bagging groceries so whatever.

RATING: 25%

6 comments:

DCP said...

On the bright side you could probably score a dime bag from any one of the whole foods baggers in like two seconds, so that's a plus??? Of course, they would probably claim it was "organic," charge you ten times as much as it's worth, and act all smug when they sold it to you, so never mind.

laurie said...

Actually I've noticed that Whole Foods seems to be making an effort to have more locally grown stuff (non-local of course being the biggest reason its not earth friendly). At the Whole Foods stores here in NYC they always have a big board when you walk into the produce area that says what's local today. Anyway, I like Whole Foods. Mostly because I live in Brooklyn, aka the land of nasty ass grocery stores. What I wouldn't give for a Publix in this town.

Chris said...

Well, there's a really fantastic Greenmarket somewhere in downtown (I don't know exactly, close to NYU). But that might be too far for you. It's awesome, but it makes me sad that Houston fails to have a market that rivals anything like it when our growing season is basically year-round. I think there's quite a few really great markets all over NY, but I digress...

Bryan said...

I miss Publix too, even though we have a few Roche Bros. around here. The greatest things about Publix were the subs though. Oh Publix sub...how I long for your touch.

laurie said...

Actually there's a fantastic little produce store down the block from my new apt, so I'm good on the produce front. And as soon as they open the Trader Joe's down the street I'll probably be like Whole WHAT? Have I mentioned how much I love my new neighborhood?

Anonymous said...

Maybe you should have worked at Whole Foods instead of Randalls.