Monday, August 4, 2008

Swan Lake by Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky

Swan Lake is a ballet by Tchaikovsky that I guarantee you've heard some of before. It's also the most beautiful piece of music ever written in history. It's got a lot of short upbeat dance numbers, but then the leitmotif of the swan comes back and it's sombre and depressingly beautiful. Whenever somebody asks who my favorite composer is, I always try to say somebody more obscure like Khachaturian or Corigliano, but I'll tell you guys a secret - the true answer is Tchaikovsky.

RATING: 100%

4 comments:

Chris said...

Glenn you're starting to give off the vibe that this blog is somewhat cultured. I don't like it.

John said...

Yeah, only high brow swans go, "Quack quack."

Anonymous said...

100%? You'd think this was Fence magazine the way you're talking about it.

Loren said...

I'm with them^^ let's keep our brows down to nothing later than the impressionists.