Thursday, December 30, 2010

My Year at the Movies: 2010

A lot of people my age don't go out to the movies very often, at least that's been my experience based on where I live and the people I know. Myself, I go a lot. In 2010, I went to the movies 22 times. 20 of the movies I saw were from 2010, one was 2009's Sherlock Holmes and one was a repertory screening of a William Shatner movie from the 70s that I saw at the Alamo Drafthouse in Austin, Texas. Now the average person might think that 22 trips to the movies is a lot (and it probably is for someone who's not a professional critic), but I didn't even manage to catch everything I wanted to see this year. I didn't get to watch The Social Network, I didn't get a chance to watch Scott Pilgrim vs. the World until it came out on DVD, and Black Swan hasn't even gotten a wide release yet. The movies I saw this year came from a wide variety of genres: comedies, action flicks, horror movies, comic book movies, Oscar bait, and even two movies in 3D. So while a lot of critics are saying that 2010 wasn't a particularly strong year for movies, I can't complain too much, at least no one nuked the fridge this year.

Rating: 75%

(Image from brooklynindiehouse.com)

4 comments:

Quammy said...

The List

Non 2010 Movies:
Impulse (1974)
Sherlock Holmes (2009)

2010 Movies:
Cop Out
Get Him to the Greek
Green Zone
Hot Tub Time Machine
Inception
Iron Man 2
Jackass 3D
Kick-Ass
Machete
Piranha 3D
Predators
Red
Shutter Island
The A-Team
The Expendables
The Fighter
The Other Guys
The Town
The Wolfman
True Grit

DCP said...

I thought I barely saw any movies this year, but I guess I saw a few of those, too. I don't like to go to the movies because some motherfucker always has to ruin it for me by talking on his phone, or talking to his kid, or being a kid and kicking my seat, etc.

Quammy said...

Usually when I go to the movies it's for a Sunday matinee and there's hardly anyone ever there. I had pretty good luck this year, as far as annoying audience members go. That said, I went to see True Grit last night. There was a guy ahead of me in line bitching about everything. Sure enough, he was also going to see True Grit. He started complaining loudly during the pre-show ads. So, from the back of theater, I felt compelled to yell "shut up." Which, thankfully, he did.

Belabras said...

As someone who goes to the movies almost every weekend. I fully support this.