Tuesday, January 20, 2009

The jump-in-the-air profile photo

There is a phenomenon that has taken root and has grown, swiftly as a malicious tumor, on social networking sites. I did a quick scan of my friends on Facebook, and before I'd even gotten through the B's, I found three people who each had a profile picture of either themselves or them and a group of their friends jumping up, paused in mid-air by the snap of a digicam. "Lookit us!" these assholes seem to proclaim, "we're flying!" I get it. It's a neat trick made possible by shutter speeds that our 1000-speed rolls of Kodak could never accomplish. It's a neat visual. But once it's done, it's done. If you can jump, and you have a camera, you can capture one of these images. So some people have tried to think of variations on the tired theme. Freeze-jumps in exotic locales have become popular. Freeze-jump on a beach in the Bahamas. Freeze-jump on a drawbridge in merry old England. Guess what? It all looks the same. People who post freeze-jump profile pictures are the same people who list "Lolita" and "The Unbearable Lightness of Being" as their favorite books and "All About My Mother" as their favorite movie. Gimme an L! Gimme an A! Gimme an M-E! What does that spell?

RATING: 19%

7 comments:

John said...

Lolita and The Unbearable Lightness of Being are modern classics. I think you're just racist against slavs.

I can't say I blame you. Buncha cabbage eating bastards.

LoCo said...

I didn't say they weren't good books. I like Lolita, haven't read the other one. But these are the books people often list as their favorites to make themselves sound literary, even though the only thing they read is The Economist.

John said...

All I read is novels, and I tell people I read the Economist.

DCP said...

All I read is comics, but to be fair that's pretty much what I tell people.

Anonymous said...

Uh-oh.
Me encanta la película Todo Sobre Mi Madre.

LoCo said...

I don't know what "encanta" means, but you are quite a film connoisseur, Tim. It's not like you're reading The Economist and talking about how much you love Lolita, if you get my drift.
PS - If any of my 90 friends with freeze-jump pictures were brave enough to do the same in their wedding garb, that would equal instant street cred. Unfortunately not everyone is so imaginative. Flip-flops and board shorts just don't have the same effect.

laurie said...

The Unbearable Lightness of Being is a good book. You should read it. And I once saw a bride do the worm in her wedding dress, at the reception. That is all.