Sunday, July 25, 2010

The Wicker Man

This is a movie about a devout Christian cop from Scotland who goes to some weirdo pagan island to solve The Case of the Missing Girl. It's ok, but it's totally revered as one of the best horror movies ever made by basically everybody who ever lived on Earth in all of history, which is not an accurate assessment if you ask me. It's complex though - on the one hand, this Christian cop is kind of a dick when he hears about the kids being taught pagan faith instead of about Jesus etc, but on the other hand *SPOILERS* they burn him to death as a sacrifice to their harvest god which isn't so hospitable in my humble opinion *END SPOILERS*. One other lasting contribution this film made to society is that it spawned a remake, which spawned BAM!

RATING: 73%

3 comments:

Quammy said...

I have yet to see either version of The Wicker Man, but I have a copy of the original somewhere in my DVD collection. I'm almost tempted to watch the Nick Cage version, but I'm guessing it can't be anywhere as good as the best-of clip on youtube.

Eva said...

I haven't seen the first one, but the Nick Cage version was really awful.

Belabras said...

Ah, but has anyone seen the comedy remake? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_mW8mBzmHo&feature=player_embedded