Saturday, March 8, 2008

Wild Goods by Denise Newman

Sorry this pic is so small, but it's the best I could find. Anyway, I just read this book for a class, and I have to say it's pretty great. Denise Newman emotionally navigates the boundaries between birth and death, and the religious implications of good living. The most powerful section is the second section, in which she uses the chapters of an old monastic guide as poem titles, and questions the emotional ramifications of the finite. It's imaginatively powerful, and you should buy it right now why don't ya.

RATING: 83%

2 comments:

laurie said...

You know I don't read that poetry junk (sorry glenn!), but check this out. Did Joanna Newsome rip off that pic for her album cover?

Joanna Newsome, Ys cover

DCP said...

I don't know. Isn't that a kind of common arty thing from the olden days? You were the art major.