Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Calenture by Kent Shaw

I have to be honest and admit that this book is by a friend of mine, so I would feel a little weird giving it a percentage rating. But I am being totally honest when I say that it is a fantastic book of poetry and you should buy it now. I have read few books more like an intricately woven map in which landscape, faith, and love are dissected through phrasal leitmotifs in a way that is completely satisfying, natural, and moving. Cities jut against fields against vast bodies of water in this book, manipulated by a speaker who is internally wrestling with faith and attempting to turn that struggle into something representatively external. Only the vast can deal with such metaphysical concerns, but rather than losing control of the environment created, he deftly controls it and allows us to exist within it which is great and I'm out of sentences so buy it like I said.

RATING: N/A