Saturday, March 29, 2008

The Dana Carvey Show

I guess it's a big trip back to like 10th grade or something here, because now I'm reviewing this show that aired in its entirety (8 episodes) back in 1996 and then was canceled. Anyway, I thought at the time that this show was hilarious, but I was 15, and other than brief clips here and there on youtube I haven't seen full episodes until the whole show was recently put online at hulu.com. The opening monologues Dana Carvey does are pretty painful, but with a writing staff that included Charlie Kaufman and Louis CK, and a cast that included, in addition to Carvey, Steve Carell and Stephen Colbert, the show is pretty consistently hysterical. I guess it just wasn't prime time material or something.

RATING: 81%

2 comments:

LoCo said...

I'd rather watch Dana Carvey for a half an hour than Mike Meyers. I found a Wayne's World book while at home and almost brought it back to show you, and then I thought, why? Why indeed.

Jen said...

I just watched one of these and it is pretty funny. Except for the Chili's commercial in the middle.

Last night I saw a few episodes of Exit 57, also with Steven Colbert and a lot of the Strangers with Candy crew. If you haven't caught that before, I recommend it.