Saturday, March 29, 2008

Astro Creep 2000 by White Zombie

In high school my friends and I all used to love listening to Supersexy Swingin' Sounds, the remix album for Astro-Creep 2000. We listened to it a lot, especially whenever anybody got a new stereo or speaker in their car, because there was a really clean bass drop in the More Human Than Human remix (which reminds me of the time my friend Striebel put a 15 inch speaker in the back of his barely functioning Renault, which was pretty hilarious). So basically when I bought this album last year it was like I was buying a remix album to the remix album, since I was most familiar with all the remixes if that makes any sense. White Zombie seems like the perfect band for me, because they are obsessed with bad old horror movies and constantly sample and quote them in their songs, and this album is pretty great for all of that and then they broke up. Some songs you can find on youtube if you'd like to check them out include More Human Than Human, Super Charger Heaven, and Electric Head Pt. 2 (The Ecstasy).

RATING: 80%

6 comments:

laurie said...

While I have not actually hear anything by White Zombie I am dubious of an 80% rating for this band. Maybe it's just because House of 1000 Corpses sucked so bad?

John said...

I used to listen to this album while picking strawberries, along with Core by STP and The Tea Party's Edges of Twilight. I have "Blood, Milk and Sky" on my ipod now, and I listen to it sometimes, but the guitars have a tinny scooped-mids sound that really dates the music (and the ipod's relatively shitty sound quality really doesn't help. You'd think for $300 a pop Apple could come up with a decent EQ). Astrocreep is the only thing Rob Zombie ever did that I liked, except for the peyote scene in the horrible Beavis and Butthead movie. Usually he's too campy and silly for me.

DCP said...

I kind of like his camp and silliness. It's sort of what brings the charm of the music.

Anonymous said...

I think the camp factor brings charm to his music as well. Unfortunately, as much as I like camp in movies, I can't say the same for House Of 1000 Corpses. I mean...it's not that I HATE it. It just makes me sad that I would like a movie written by Dee Snider(Strangeland) better than a movie written/directed by Rob Zombie--particularly since I hate Twisted Sister and like White Zombie. Sigh.

Jacqui

John said...

According to a Metal Edge magazine that I purchased in 1995, Dee Snider is a veritable "heavy metal octopus," who is juggling so many projects he hardly knows what to do with himself.

He he he.

Anonymous said...

The last I heard of Dee Snider (besides him hosting the House of Hair, that is) was when he briefly got back together with Twisted Sister a year or two ago. They apparently did some kind of Christmas album/special together called A Very Twisted Christmas. Move over, Johnny Mathis!

Yet, I guess I shouldn't put them down too much. However corny the Christmas album/special may sound, at least part of the proceeds from that project went to Cure Austism Now. Maybe something good came out of making a crap-ass Christmas album, after all.

Jacqui